5 Reasons You’re Not Booking Enough Clients and What to do about it!
You’ve finished your year-long hand analysis certification, or your weekend intensive and you cannot wait to take the world by storm! Congratulations! You are overflowing with information about the wisdom in the hands and you are so excited to share it with anyone and everyone who will listen.
The problem is, no one is BUYING. Sure, people are willing to have you look at their hands if it’s free but when it comes to ponying up their hard-earned dollars for you to read their hands the brick wall goes up and you get shut out.
It’s painful and a little embarrassing. After all, you spent a few thousand dollars in pursuit of your knowledge, with the understanding that you’d make that money back once you started reading hands professionally. So why isn’t it working?
11 years ago I was in your shoes. Six years ago I was still struggling to figure out what I was “missing,” and began desperately seeking a quick solution to help me turn a profit. I’d sold my previous business to concentrate on hand analysis and coaching and was quickly running out of the money I’d made in the sale. Despite having keen business skills and a decade of marketing experience under my belt, I was treading water, hemorrhaging money, and I hated it.
Today my business is profitable. I am paying off the debt I accrued in the “dark times” and can honestly say life feels good again and my business is worthwhile. I’ve learned so many things in this journey to profitability and I love sharing what I learned with you.
This post is a down and dirty look at five reasons people aren’t buying palmistry readings from you and what do about it.
- You don’t actually believe that people will pay what you are charging for a Palm Reading. Yup. The truth hurts but once it’s out in the open it’s so much easier to live with! In my years as a professional hand reader I’ve met hundreds of people who don’t believe that a palm reading is worth $50.00 much less $250! That takes a toll on your mindset doesn’t it? Even if you’ve been a hard-core salesperson for more than a decade, all that rejection, coupled with mystified looks when you tell people what you do for a living wears you down. Once you’re worn down you begin to worry that palmistry is too woo-woo for your audience or that your audience only thinks that palmistry is for laughs or parties.
What to do: Dig in and discover WHAT a palmistry reading really is. Get into your own soul and reference the results you first saw after your own reading. Create a mantra like, “Who WOULDN’T want to have their hands read?” and let that guide your confidence and conversations as you go out and attract clients. The point is, budgets are highly personal! Someone may spend $300 on dog food for their precious pet but wouldn’t spend $5.00 on a cup of coffee. Don’t buy into the idea that money and pricing are logical, they’re emotional. Find a way to create an emotional connection between your perfect client’s needs and the outcomes they can receive in a reading with you to help you turn this mindset around.
- People are afraid of predictions or that you’ll see something “bad.” It’s interesting how many people go to Tarot readers and wouldn’t go to a palmist, don’t you think? This indicates that what we have here is a failure to communicate the benefits of a palmistry reading to the general public. When people tell you that they are afraid of having their hands read, or that their religion forbids it, what’s your response? If you feel tense, angry, rejected or fearful, you’re subliminally sending that message to the person to whom you’re speaking. This drives home their gut response that what you do is scary.
What to do: Make it your personal mission to disseminate excellent content that assuages people’s fears about palmistry. That can be in the form of giving talks to clubs and professional groups in your community, producing excellent content for your blog, leading a networking group, writing for the local paper, producing videos and/or podcasts and more. Oh, you’re thinking, “but I don’t have TIME for that!”??? What are you spending your time on? Use this time when you’re business is slow to create and share some outstanding forms of communication. If it’s your mission to educate the public on why a palm reading will change their life, it won’t be long before you are changing lives with your readings.
- You overcompensate in “get to know you” calls/meetings or mini-readings. It’s so exciting to share what you see in a person’s hands that it’s hard to calm down and pace yourself. This was my biggest and hardest to overcome challenge! (What can I say? I’m a giver!) Every time I would give a mini-reading I’d dive right in to answer the client’s question that I’d end up going over time and overwhelming my potential client with so much information that their head was spinning. (I know, because I asked them later why they didn’t book with me.)
What to do: Remind yourself that this isn’t a test to see what you know about the hand, nor is it a chance for you to wow your potential client with how palm-savvy you are. Use your mini-readings or get to know you calls to find out exactly what’s ailing the client. Ask excellent questions before you do the mini-reading to figure out what one nugget in their hand might be the culprit keeping them stuck and focus on that one point for the length of your mini-reading. (I recommend keeping the reading to no more than 5 minutes). Then finish up with a query, “What would it be like to get all the details you need to put this problem to bed, once and for all in 3 months?” (or something like that depending on what the client is facing and what you see in the hand as tools to help them.) If they want to know more, tell them about your private sessions/coaching plans and ask them if that sounds like something they’re ready for. Either way, thank them for their time and ask their permission to follow up and to add them to your email list. (BONUS NOTE: Most people actually aren’t ready to heal even if they think they are. It’s no reflection on you. Even Freud made note of this phenomena!) (ANOTHER BONUS ACTION TIP: Go ask the people who had free readings why they didn’t purchase one!)
- You don’t have a clear focus on how you want to help. If you don’t know what problem you most enjoy solving for your clients you’ll be spewing information far and wide on all kinds of topics and missing opportunities to connect with your perfect clients.
What to do: Get honest with yourself and decide what it is you really want to do with your business. The dream is to be booked solid, but if you imagine that, what topic do you want to spend your days talking about? What would bore you to tears and what would excite you? What kinds of people drive you ape-shit and what kind of people make you happy when you see them? Use that information to start formulating a plan and a focus. Resist the temptation to judge yourself or get bollixed up trying to find the one, perfect, focus. That kind of thinking will keep you stalled. The point now is to pick something that feels good enough (yes, I just said that) and act on that focus. You can shift and change after you’re booked solid if you want to, or you can zig your way to a variation, but you can’t do any shifting or zigging until you’re booking clients steadily. (BONUS STORY: I ALWAYS knew that I wanted to teach content marketing skills to entrepreneurs/healers but I talked myself out of it for a million reasons over 10 years. Now that I’m doing what I always wanted to do, things are easier, and more importantly, more fun!)
- You don’t really know what you’re offering. This goes back to where we started. If you don’t really know the value of what you’re delivering, you can’t explain it to your perfect people. If you can’t explain it to your perfect people you’re not going to be a great ambassador for palmistry and the results your clients get when they work with you.
What to do: When you focus on the results your clients get when they work with you, it’s much easier to translate your value to your desired marketplace. As you give talks, produce content, and share your message across social media it’s consistent and valuable. When people resonate with YOU and the results they can get working with you, they buy into the idea of investing in working with you. They’re not buying a hand-reading; they are purchasing a change of their quality of life. Whether you help clients change jobs, heal their gut, figure out their accounting, create a blog, or write a book, make sure you are clear on how using the hard-wiring in their hands will make all the difference in their results.
Now it’s time for you to book some clients. If you’re not sure how to start, sign up for the Professional Palmist newsletter (which is DIFFERENT from the main newsletter I send to PalmNation every two weeks) and join the Profitable Palmist Facebook group. Of course, I’m always happy to talk about a private mentoring program if you’re ready to see results in the next four months!