If you’re stalled in your business because you can’t figure out your client Avatar, I want you to promise me something…you’ll start your business anyway. Now, in fact.
I want you to commit to starting where you are, today, to go out and meet potential clients. I want you to know that there isn’t actually an elite school, heart-felt femipreneur system that must be mastered before you can have a profitable business. That’s all stuff that gets in your head and has you SPENDING money instead of making money.
I’m a fan of investing in yourself and your business, on practical, specific tools and systems that will help you do the thing you haven’t yet figured out how to do. I am not a fan of spending money to figure out your avatar, or worse, to find out that you’re supposed to have a perfect avatar so you can create a marketing plan. I really hate that.
Presumably you’ve done the training you deemed necessary to become a palmistry professional, so that’s all you need right now. REALLY.
Instead of waiting to market, create content and sell your service until you have a target/avatar, how about re-thinking the process altogether?
I’ve found that trying to create an avatar before logging serious hours working with paying clients is like trying to finish a 1000 piece puzzle with 300 pieces missing! No matter what you do it just won’t be complete without those missing pieces. In terms of Avatars – you can’t have those pieces completed without first having dozens of relationships with potential and paying clients!
Avatars don’t buy things and they don’t purchase or invest in your service. People do. (go ahead, Tweet that!)
Over time and with enough relationships and conversations you’ll naturally narrow your focus. However, you cannot narrow focus until you’ve tried a number of possibilities. Even doctors go through rotations before selecting their specialties – and then they have even more school and clinical “practice” time before they’re out in the world practicing solo!
Why in heaven’s name would you know exactly what problem you want to solve and for whom without REAL time in the saddle of doing your business?
Sure there is value to being as focused as you can be with the information you currently have, waiting until you’ve hit “perfection” is going to make you (and everyone who loves you) CRAZY.
So what’s a New Palmist to do?
Go through these questions instead. Focus on where you are RIGHT NOW, not where you want to be or how you’ll use this moment to jump you to a quadrillion dollars and a 6 figure launch. Just start here and aim for your first (or next) 5 paying clients, okay? (and by paying clients, I mean clients who pay your full rate!)
- What information do you have now about who you’d like to work with and what you’d like to do?
- What hours do you want to work? (M-F; 9-5 or Tues and Thursdays and an occasional Saturday from 3-9pm?) This is your company sweetie, so make it yours! (DO NOT worry about when other people want to work with you, especially if you have tons of water in your hands, loopy fingerprints or a Big Heart Heart Line)
- How do you prefer to deliver your service? (Face to face? On the phone? Via Video? In writing? Email? Skype? Facebook Chat?)
- How do you want to connect with clients and real people? (It doesn’t matter how much of an introvert you are, you’re going to have to talk to people as long as you expect people to pay for your services. If you can get books, dogs, cats or plants to pay you, then you don’t have to talk to people)
- How do you want to feel when you’re delivering your service?
- How do you want your clients to feel when they’re receiving your service?
- How can you help people most? (This isn’t about helping everyone with everything, this is about how you, personally, with your gifts and talents and experience that is uniquely you, can help most)
- Why is it important to you to help people?
- Why is it important to you to make money?
- Who can’t you help? (come on, there are some people that just aren’t your cup of tea, so get honest about it now so you don’t keep attracting them to your business.)
- Are you an in-person practitioner or virtual?
- What problems and challenges have YOU overcome that deeply influence your vision of the world?
- How do you feel about politics and religion?
- What other skills do you bring to the table that can help people? Do you want to use them?
This should get you started.
Now, you’re off!
Instead of focusing on an Avatar, start focusing on people. People you know are a great place to start. Ask them about their hopes and dreams and fears. Find out their challenges and problems and their big wins. Become a student of people and relationships!
Find out what drives the people you know batty. Make a commitment to get to know (better) everyone who seems remotely interesting to you. In other words, people who you’d like to get to know anyway. (Notice I didn’t say anything about people whom you think may be interested in you?!)
When you start approaching this from a point of genuine curiosity and interest it’s no longer about you, you, you. It’s about the other person. This is how friendships and relationships are made.
Now as you develop relationships you can give yourself permission to be you when talking about your palmistry business instead of feeling like you have to SELL or Keep it Quiet. As you build relationships, people tend to talk about what they do for a living. Not because they are selling it, but because they are getting to know one another.
People who like you want to learn more about you. (yeah, they do!)
The thing you may not be facing. (But maybe you are. Either way, it’s awesome.)
If you don’t want to talk about your palmistry business, why is that?
- Do you feel pressure to sell a session?
- Do you feel pressure to give a session away?
- Are you unsure of the benefits of a reading?
- Are you afraid that your new friend won’t get it?
Investigate these feelings because it’s a key to what’s really stalling your profit (hint, it’s not a lack of an Avatar).
Now get out of your own way by practicing being you and talking to people!
Sometimes I think our society has lost the art of casual conversation. There are people I know who brag that they don’t have conversations that aren’t meaningful. Mmmmkay. But who the heck are they talking to for all the meaningfulness? Do they meet someone at the coffee shop and launch into DEEP, SOUL-SEARCHING stuff? I can’t imagine that’s a very fulfilling way to be. Plus, how do they meet new friends when all their old friends simply want to shoot the breeze?
The point is, all relationships are built like everything else (especially profitable businesses) one step, one conversation at a time. That’s how an avatar emerges. It’s a compilation of all the real people you know and have encountered.
She’s got quirks and strengths, she is a terrible speller and is embarrassed as heck about it, and she admires people who always look put-together but she couldn’t spend the time or money to make her own style board. She’s real YO!
What I’m proposing is that you turn the whole idea of an Avatar on its head for a while. As you build a client base (and profit) your Avatar will emerge as a gorgeous blend of all the amazing people you’ve helped in the meantime.
Until then, create content, packages and services that serve people you would like to work with and you know you can help. I swear it can be so much easier than you’ve been led to believe.
And while not every Palmistry professional has an Avatar that is remarkably similar to themselves, many do. Why? Because you’ve got to be able to walk in someone’s shoes to really understand how they think and what motivates them. For now remember the best way to walk in their shoes so to speak is to talk with them and get to know them and you can do that now!
Go forth and grow your palmistry business! And if you want to be sure to get the latest posts from the blog and the secret goodies I share with my #PalmNation tribe, register for the newsletter today.